Notes From Matt’s Lecture
Rhetoric and Storytelling
Logos – facts presented to make an argument
- Think Progress (data presentation)
- The Daily Show (video then, video now)
Pathos – arousal of emotions
- Negative connotation (fear, tearjerker)
- Aristotle (puts the audience in the right frame of mind)
- Mother Theresa: when I think of the mass I can do nothing; when I think of the individual, I can act.
- Example: story about a person in Africa v facts-and-data. Story gave more than 2x as much.
- Arguing for increased regulations on anesthesiologist (an appeal to fear)
- Save Darfur (kind of like that study)
- Daisy (pbs, youtube)
Ethos – trust the messenger/source; Aristotle says this seems to be the most compelling
You need a combination of all three. Either one from an uncredible source is weak.
Persuasion Through Identification (20th century movement)
- We identify with each other through common goals, beliefs, interests and enemies
- We persuade by creating an “us” and a “them”
- Freshmen Interest Groups
- The nine things I’ve learned from stock photos (about the corporate worklife)
Persuasion Through Framing
- What is the dominant metaphor or concept you want the audience to use when thinking about –fill-in-the-blank–
- Framing is a metaphor itself
- Estate tax v Death tax
- Clearing cutting v healthy forests
- Global warming v climate change
- Sportsmanship v Honoring the game
- It’s not what you say, it’s what people hear (new book)
- Time v Newsweek (OJ Simpson)
- Arc d’Triumphe v Vietnam War Memorial
- Kenneth Burke – we are able to persuade thru stories.
- Not all stories are alike – focus on one of these five:
- Agent: who did what?
- Act: what was done?
- Agency: how was it done?
- Purpose: why was it done?
- Scene: in which context was it done?
- what do you privilege as the dominate idea in a narrative?
- i bought a new car
- i invested in a brand new volvo
- the dealer persuaded me to buy a volvo
- my new job as a lawyer demanded that i buy a new car
- newspaper headlines
- bush to suspend oil reserve deposits (ap)
- bush tries to ease soaring gas prices (iht)
- bush brings in measures to tackle oil price crisis (irish times)
- fighting gas prices, bush halts filling of emergency oil reserve, urges waiver of clean air rules (ap)
- souring oil prices put bush under pressure (afp)
- feeling political heat, president halts new oil reserve deposit (iht)
- oil prices retreat as US stops increasing strategic oil reserve (Xinhua News Agency)